Sunday, June 19, 2005

why do we fall?

"Why do we fall?" The question that was repeated a lot of times in "Batman Begins." The answer in the movie was "so that we can learn to pick ourselves up."

For me, my answer is "so that we can learn to rely on God to pick us up."

It sounds simple, where we don't need to do a thing but wait for God to clear things up, but you forgot something. He's willing to pick you up whenever you fall, but on your side, you need to extend your hand to grasp His, and push ourselves up from the ground as He pulls us.

In the movie, the person that caught my attention was not Batman, but his father. He had such love for the people in his city to actually care for their welfare, and act on this passion. Even when he's in the midst of being robbed, he was so calm, not even bearing any hatred to the robber, and even died protecting his wife.

Such love. Such passion.

Can we christians carry that kind of love for the brethrens in our churches?
Can we christians carry that kind of passion to seek out the lost and guide them to salvation, just as other christians once led us from our darkness, to the Light?
Can we christians have such forgiveness for those who did us wrong, who hurt us, because their eyes are not opened to their crime?

If we will, let God enable us to do all things, that He wills for us.

The nice thing about Batman is that, well, though he hit people (can we call that self defense? :P), he never ignored injustice, but doesn't deal with the person's punishment. He leave it to the law.

I'm a person who's afraid of conflicts, avoiding any that I see, even trying not to be involved in other's. But God doesn't want me to overlook injustice, even when I'm scared. I pray that He give me the boldness to oppose injustice, but leaving the judgment to His hand, because vengeance is of the Lord. He will repay according to their works.

OK, away from movie, back to reality, I found out that this responsibility that I've just picked up, it's not that easy to deal with it. Sometimes I question my need to do it, when I should be having fun, doing things I wanted to do. The reason I'm doing it is because firstly, God has called me. Second, because of the hope of my seniors. And thirdly, because I've long to serve them, to be able to be a blessings to them.

Well, I can't say things for sure now, because it has just started. But I'm sure there'll be a time when I'll be discouraged. Sometimes we get disappointed with people, because they're not who we expect them to be. Sometimes we feel down, because things don't go the way that we hope them to be.

Yet, is that a good reason to stop?
Should a person who plan to build a tower not count the cost needed to build it? Lest he build it halfway and can continue no more, because he has no more money.
Likewise, once we've decided to care for someone, or take up a responsibility, we should be prepared for things that are to come, be it good or bad.

If we wanted to care for someone, can we blame the person for pushing our love away? We can't expect everyone to wanting to accept our feelings for them. What matters is you've decided that you wanted to care for the person, you should be prepared for rejection. And since I've decided to taken up certain responsibility, well, problems are inevitable, extra work is expected. I just have to face it with the strength from God.

Galatians 5:18 - And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

Therefore, if we are working for a good cause, do not worry much, for God is with us. If you can't put your confidence in yourself, or in other people, trust God, for it is better to trust in God rather than men.

May your weary heart be blessed,
That joy may come again,
And may Grace flows down from heaven,
That your soul be comforted.

May we continue the good works that we have started in His Name, and may He continue the wonderful work that He has started in us.

Blessed be God,
Who gives strength in needy times,
Who gives grace during trials,
Who loves us, the person that we are.

No comments: