Sunday, January 22, 2006

churching

Today someone asked me, "I didn't see you in church today," as he always does every sunday whenever he sees me. Most of the time I just smiled. I've got no defense. Uh, and I'm currently back in my hometown, and I don't attend any church service here.
Now, before you accusing me of putting up a show of churching back in cyber, you better not. :P
He continue by telling me that if I don't attend church, I'll backslide. Was a bit shocked of being shot like that. Anyway, I do agree with what he said, but that agreement differs in some ways.
Basically there are three reasons I go to church.
First, the fellowship. I believe that christians cannot live alone, because without that constant encouragement, directly or indirectly from other christians, one day, you'll bound to wonder the reason you're christian, even to the point where you don't really care about your faith anymore.
Secondly, for the sermon. Yea, I kinda fancy preaches. Not like it's there ORIGINALLY, but it's a good way to get pointers, apart from bible studies and sharing.
Thirdly, ah, I don't really remember.
Anyway, since there's only mandarin and iban speaking church around here, it's kinda hard for me to present myself among the local brethrens. I already find it hard to fellowship with people, and I do not understand the sermon well. Blame it on the language barrier. Don't tell me that if I faithfully go, God will somehow make me understand it all. I don't live my faith like that.
I wouldn't mind attending an english or malay speaking church if there's one here. Sadly, there's none. Except for a nearby town, which is quite far. :(

But I do wonder, what has a church become? People view sunday church service as THE ONLY day to worship God. If you don't worship Him that day, at church, you're gonna backslide. WTH?
For me, after a little study on early churches, I've come to see sunday church service as the time we worship God WITH our christian brethrens. We worship God EVERYDAY, we worship God on sunday WITH other christians. The main point is to keep yourself in contact with other christians.
The problem is many people see sunday as the only day we worship God, and the rest of the weekdays we can live our lives as though He never existed. Our whole life is a worship unto God, church, is for fellowship. Godly fellowship.
Though I say all these, I disagree with people who says that 'I don't go to church because I don't feel comfortable there. I still worship God at home on sundays. And I still go to church whenever I'm back at my hometown.' Hey, you don't only worship God at home on sundays, you're suppose to worship Him like that everday! And hey, if not because of the language barrier, I find no other reason for myself not to go to church at my hometown. Plus, it's not like I'm really comfortable at my church, I still go because I know it's important.
Even if you go churching back in your hometown, and don't do that while you're studying in another region, because you don't feel comfortable, what if when you graduated, and you're to work somewhere else? So, will you not be going to church forever?

I think I'll stop here, and review this post later. Not used to home computer and this post is getting a wee bit too long. Till then.

God bless.

5 comments:

Huorë said...

Your buddy erei backslided long time ago dy.

zefiriel said...

Why la he backslide. Cannot be la. Then it's your job to pull him back la. Else I'll go report it to someone who would do that. :P

zefiriel said...

Just remember that when a leader falls, he pulls down with him all that he has pulled up. Sometimes, there are just things you cannot afford to let it happen. It's not a good reason to be consistent though, but it could be a motivation.

Huorë said...

All true words. I guess erei will come back soon. God wont let him have his ways too long. Take care Zefiriel.

zefiriel said...

Added you to my new prayer list! :D Hope you'll be granted the burning passion again. :D Wait, that sounds so wrong. :P
May all be made well. God bless. Make sure erei takes good care of himself. :)