Monday, January 23, 2006

can one love forever?

I've always wonder. Can one love forever?

People exchange vows during their marriage. 'Till death do us part.' Notice that it's not 'till we don't like each other anymore.'

Mutual likings. Boy and girl gets together. They became a couple.
One day, they break up.
The reason : I don't have any feelings for you anymore.

Mutual likings. Couple got married.
One day, they're divorced.
The reason : We don't have feelings for each other anymore.

As long as we're humans, this kind of love is bound to end one day. It is expected. If it's so expected, then why get married? Or are you trying to take the chance and see if the feeling might last forever? Why the vow taken then? Why are lies like "I'll love you forever," and "till death do us part" spoken then?

No, I am not promoting cohabitation. I am against it.

If we are to ever lose the feelings we once had for one another, why get together even? Is it for the temporary beauty? That we can look back and say that we have a memorable romance?

I’ve always had problem in accepting the fact that I ever so easily like someone, and also can ever so easily come to dislike the person I claimed to have deep feelings for.

Now, I’m not sure whether I can be in deep love with someone for the rest of my life anymore. There might be a chance I can, and it’ll be interesting to find that out, but instead of risking someone’s heart for such possibility, I rather not try.

I rather carry this feeling for the rest of my life, by myself, even if it’s meant to last forever.

And for those who are blessed with close relationship, or sanctified marriage, I wish that your feelings for your partner would indeed last forever. May you walk the rest of your life hand-in-hand with the one you love, through thick and thin, in sickness and in health, with everlasting, genuine care and concern.

I’ll be cheering you on, and may God bless your lives abundantly, in all His love and glory. :)

*edited*February 26 2006*

6 comments:

nwcx said...

wow you've brought up an interesting topic. you say boys and girls get together and they break up...no feelings and same with couples who get married... i think its just the world's perspective of love.. its just (like you said it) trying out, a chance to see if the feeling might last.

but i think it is something more than a feeling.. its something more than commitment.. something more than mere vows you say at the alter. something sacred.. God showed us the perfect example, Jesus. If we value love as God does we wouldnt see it as a try out. we'll mean what we say and do what we say. Faithfulness. well anyway.. its just my point of view you can discard it if you dont like it :)

jacintha said...

ello....

That's why a relationship or even marriage ain't only based feelings alone. It is build on many other different foundations-trust,respect,resposibility
To me, relationship build on feelings alone is very shallow..
Anyway take care ok...=)

-tha-

zefiriel said...

Aiks. I think you guys misunderstood la. That is what I see all around, not something I hold unto in life. Plus, the post's not finished yet. With my monitor that's everchanging it's colour, I find it hard to complete a post. :P Sorry. Thanks for the comment. It's nice knowing what people think about a certain issue. Will finish my posts ASAP, as long as the old computer don't kacau. :D

Anonymous said...

There are some love that lasts forever!
Saw some crap TV programme that there is this guy, end up marrying his TV set.

zefiriel said...

tehka=adrian teh?
Anyway, hey, that's one sided love! the tv can't even say "I do." It's prolly a forced marriage. :P

Plus, he'll prolly ended up liking other tv set one day, anyway. Plasma tv, maybe? XD

zefiriel said...

finally, I get to bring this post to completion. yay~ anyway, you do have to admit that most love relationships started from feelings alone. But there are cases where feelings comes after, such as unexpectedly grown to like your good friend. :P